Sunday, August 5, 2012

The New Country

Street in front of our house
I arrived in Niger from Cameroon on Tuesday evening. I've never been to Niger before and to aid in the transition, I was secretly wishing that Niger wouldn't be that different from Cameroon.  But from the moment I first saw Niger from the plane I knew that was a false hope.  Everything is just different.  I now live in the capital of Niger, Niamey, and share a house with three other girls, who also work at Samaritan's Purse.

One of the first things that I noticed about Niamey is how quiet it is.  In Cameroon, music is constantly playing, especially in any city of a significant size.  But here it is eerily quiet.  Except for the Muslim call to prayer in the mornings and evenings.  It is Ramadan and that may possibly explain why it is quiet during the day in a city that is over 95% Muslim.

View of our house
There are also language differences as the official language is French, no more Pidgin, which at this point removes a lot of humor from my life. I keep wanting to say ashia to people until I remember they don't know what it means.  I've been told that there is a similar word in one of the local languages, I just need to learn it!


 I now have an office job as the Nutrition and Program Manager and directly oversee two Nigeriens, who supervise 20 other Nigeriens. The 20 Nigeriens they oversee provide health education and food distribution in outlying villages.  It is the kind of work that I used to do and enjoyed as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Cameroon.  Now I'm two times removed from that work.  With a terrible famine sweeping across the Sahel region and Niger being one of the countries most affected, currently it is kind of like "ground zero" for any organization working to treat malnutrition.   For more information on the severity of the situation click here: malnutrition in the Sahel.


Boxes of "plumpy'sup" in storage

One of my job responsibilities is to oversee the distribution of plumpy'sup and fortified cereals.  Plumpy'sup  is like plumpy'nut, but is for children who aren't as severely malnourished and can supplement their daily diet.  The first day I was at the office I was amazed at just how much of these fortified foods are in storage. Tons.  Literally.  The World Food Programme (WFP) buys the food and Samaritan's Purse (SP) distributes it.

However, on Thursday I learned that over 1,000 children didn't get their months ration because of a possible bacteria contamination leading to a recall of plumpy'sup.  I'm realizing how detrimental this is for families as they currently are depending on these food rations for their livelihood.  
Boxes of "super cereal"

Besides the religious, language, work, and climate differences, I also live quite differently then in Cameroon.  One of the advantages of living in the capital city is access to large grocery stores.  Grocery stores that sell cereal and cold milk and more flavors of tea then I've ever seen in the States!   Since Niger is land-locked everything is imported and I pay easily 2-3 times what I paid in Cameroon for fruits and vegetables.  In addition, I now live behind a walled house with guards so its much more difficult to get to know the Nigeriens and the wildlife.  But I'm trying.  
My neighbors
Nigerien wildlife
You are being asked to trust that you will find what you need in the new country.  That  requires the death of what has become so precious to you: influence, success, affirmation, and praise.  Trust is so hard since you have nothing to fall back on, still trust is what is essential.  

Henri Nouwen

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations for your new job and great to hear from you Kate! Enjoy quietness in Niger and wish find ‘local ashia’:) Best wishes

    ReplyDelete