Sunday, August 12, 2012

Desert Pilgrimage

Ever since April, when I accepted to be the Health and Nutrition Manager for Samaritan's Purse in Niger, I have been wondering what it means spiritually, physically, and professionally to live in the desert.   I feel like in the last week this pilgrimage has begun as I've learned more about my work and developed a daily routine.  
Morning lights from a Mosque

In the early morning hours I meander through the darkened streets of Niamey.  The call to prayer echoes in the shadows as I run pass women rifling through putrid garbage piles, men sleeping outside to escape the heat, people walking home from the mosque, night watchmen, and the grandiose Chinese, American, French, and Malian Embassies.  It is a juxtaposition of sights and smells in the fierceness, solace, and disparities of this place.
Children playing video games in a hut

 On purpose I run pass the Niger River and pause as soon as I see it, to remind me that there can be life and growth, even in the desert.

Niger River

More difficult then running past the river and reflecting on life and growth in the desert is figuring out ways how to actually it in the desert.  Last Tuesday I attended a Nutrition cluster meeting for all of UNICEF's partners who are working to address the high levels of malnutrition throughout Niger, mostly by distributing plumpy'nut and fortified foods.  We were briefed on the current situation--over 157,000 children considered to be malnourished, which is on track with levels in 2010 when the last famine swept through Niger and not much better then in 2005, when many of the large international non-governmental organizations (NGO)s started working here permanently.  To me, what this signifies is that we are not getting at the root of the problem.  While I strongly believe in giving plumpy'nut to children who are malnourished, I don't believe in giving it to them for their whole childhood.  And for the Nigerien children who are susceptible to almost annual famines, they could indeed receive it that long.  The reason why plumpy'nut is successful is because it can be give to children before they become so severely malnourished that no other treatment works, not as a staple food.  The problems of food security in the desert are complex and complex solutions are elusive.  The pilgrimage of finding and cultivating life in the desert has begun.
Camel carrying goods

    Food for pilgrim people, manna from on high. Jesus, bread of heaven, feed us before we die.  Feed us with your love, feed us with your life, come into our longing hearts.  

Stream of living water, flowing from above.  Fountain who revives us, spring of saving love.  Feed us with your love, feed us with your life, flowing to our thirsty souls.  

Food for Pilgrim People, World Communion Song from Korea

2 comments:

  1. I'm praying for you as you start this new chapter of your life. I pray it will be not both children's lives being changed as well as YOUR life being changed. God has a plan and purpose for this journey. Keep seeking Him. You're not alone, Kate.

    ReplyDelete